Dental Implants and Oral Health: How Implants Improve Overall Well-being
What Are Dental Implants for Tooth Replacement?
They are a popular and effective tooth replacement option designed to replace missing teeth, usually one at a time, surgically. The surgical procedure at Polit & Costello Dentistry works by erecting a titanium post into the jawbone, which serves as a stable and durable foundation for a prosthetic tooth or crown.
A dental implant essentially translates to having an artificial root that can stabilize a different dental restoration. As part of Cosmetic Dentistry in a dental clinic near you, the dentist will select a dental restoration that closely matches the remaining natural teeth. In many cases, dental implants in Pittston pair well with porcelain crowns.
The Process to Anticipate When Getting Dental Implants
An overview of the dental implant process for tooth replacement comprises the following steps:
- Evaluation and treatment planning – entails a comprehensive evaluation, usually using X-rays, 3D scans, and impressions to assess the condition of your jawbone, surrounding teeth, and gums.
- Implant placement – is a surgical procedure that implant specialists perform under local anesthesia to ensure your comfort. It entails making an incision in the gum tissue to expose the jawbone, then drilling a small hole into the bone to erect the titanium implant post carefully. The last step involves suturing the gum tissue back in place to begin healing.
- Osseointegration – the titanium implant fuses over the next few months with the surrounding jawbone, creating a strong and stable bond. This integration is essential for the long-term success and stability of the implant.
- Prosthetic tooth placement – after the gum tissue has healed well enough, your dentist will take impressions of your mouth to create a custom prosthetic tooth or crown. It is designed to match your natural teeth’ shape, size, and color, providing a seamlessly natural appearance.
Exploring the Role of Dental Implants in Excellent Oral Health
Dental implants play a significant role in promoting excellent oral health, usually in some key ways:
- Preservation of jawbone – after tooth loss, the underlying jawbone deteriorates over time due to lack of stimulation. Dental implants fuse with the bone through osseointegration, creating the needed stimulation to preserve the jawbone’s density and prevent bone loss.
- Maintenance of adjacent teeth – dental implants do not need the alteration or support of adjacent teeth. Therefore, the adjacent healthy teeth can remain intact and unaffected before and after dental implants.
- Improved oral hygiene – since dental implants function like natural teeth, you can care for them with regular brushing, flossing, and rinsing in the same way as natural teeth.
- Restoration of proper chewing and speech – without teeth, it is challenging to chew food properly and speak clearly. Dental implants are a stable and secure foundation for prosthetic teeth, allowing for comfortable and efficient chewing and everyday speech patterns.
- Prevention of tooth shifting – gaps existing due to missing teeth allow the shifting of adjacent teeth over time, resulting in misalignment and bite problems. Dental implants fill the gaps, preventing neighboring teeth from shifting into empty spaces.
Do Implants Improve Your Overall Well-being?
Dental implants in Pittston can improve your overall well-being in several ways, including the following:
- Improved oral health – better oral health impacts your general body health. In the many ways dental implants benefit your oral health, they tremendously will better the quality of your life.
- Enhanced appearance and self-esteem – dental implants closely resemble natural teeth in appearance and function. Since they are custom-made to match the color, size, shape, and contour of your existing teeth, they provide a seamless and natural-looking smile, significantly enhancing your confidence and self-esteem and leading to improved overall well-being.
- Restored ability to eat and speak – better oral function with dental implants will promote confidence productivity, and enhance your enjoyment of food, improve your nutritional intake, and prevent potential speech difficulties.
- Preserving facial structure and bone health – dental implants prevent bone loss and maintain the facial structure, helping to maintain a more youthful facial appearance and prevent the sunken-in look that can occur with tooth loss.